A conversation with Michele Sims Associate Broker / REALTOR® with Affinity Real Estate in Alamogordo, New Mexico.
Welcome to the friendliest place on earth! Alamogordo was founded in June 1898 by Charles Eddy. We are a desert community located in the Tularosa Basin, the Sacramento Mountains border us on the east. We are the closest city to Holloman Air Force Base and White Sands National Monument. We are also home to New Mexico State University at Alamogordo (NMSU@A).
Alamogordo is a great place to call home! We are neighbors to La Luz, Tularosa, High Rolls, High Rolls Mountain Park, Cloudcroft, Ora Vista, Dog Canyon, and Boles Acres; and Las Cruces, New Mexico is our nearest large city neighbor.
Points of Interest
• White Sands National Park (http://www.nps.gov/whsa/index.htm)
• Alamogordo Zoo (http://ci.alamogordo.nm.us/coa/communityservices/zoo.htm)
• Oliver Lee State Park (http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/prd/oliverlee.htm)
• New Mexico Museum of Space History (http://www.nmspacemuseum.org/)
• Toy Train Depot (http://toytraindepot.homestead.com/)
• The Cloud-Climbing Rail Trail (http://nmrta.wordpress.com/)
• Lincoln National Forest (http://www.fs.usda.gov/lincoln)
ALAMOGORDO FUN FACTS
• Alamogordo means big cottonwood or “fat tree”, Gordo = fat; alamo = tree, poplar, or cottonwood.
• Our current population is approximately 35,582 based on the 2000 Census.
• This is a thriving city transformed from a railroad, ranching and farming hamlet into a progressive vibrant community, intertwined with our military neighbors of Holloman Air Force Base and White Sands Missile Range.
• Our area is rich in history and natural wonders as the gateway to: White Sands National Monument, New Mexico Museum of Space History, Clyde W. Tombaugh Planetarium and Omnimax Theater, Lincoln National Forest, Oliver Lee State Park, Alameda Park Zoo, and the Toy Train Depot.
• Developed as a rail junction with nearby mountain lumber railroad in 1898
• Has the oldest zoo in the southwest: Alameda Park Zoo, which is AZA accredited
• Hosts the Toy Train Depot, some 90 years old, offering train rides around Alameda Park for kids of all ages.
• Home of Tularosa Basin Historical Museum, with artifacts and memories from early man to Alamogordo’s entry into atomic and space age.
• Adjacent to Holloman Air Force Base, home of the F-22A Raptor, F-117 Nighthawk Stealth Fighter, 49th Fighter Wing, 46th Test Group, allied fighter pilot training missions, and the German Air Force Flying Training Center.
• We’re neighbors with the oldest Tularosa Basin town – La Luz; founded in 1705, La Luz is a quiet village plaza surrounded by adobe homes and studios.
• Oliver Lee State Park, fifteen minutes south on Highway 54, is a historic site of numerous Union Army/Apache battles. Oliver Lee State Park is now enjoyed by campers, mountain climbers, photographers, and historians.
• Visit White Sands National Monument, 20 minutes West of Alamogordo. The vast field of brilliant white sand dunes encompasses 275 square miles of desert and is the world’s largest gypsum dune field. Sledding, playing, picnicking, walking, biking, and relaxing at the dunes holds fascination for everyone. The Monument hosts many evening programs.
• Alamogordo is bordered on the East by the beautiful Sacramento Mountains, home to “The Lodge” at Cloudcroft, the Sacramento Mountains Historical Museum, and the Sunspot Solar Observatory where you can see into the center of the solar system, and home of Smokey Bear.
• Boasts a majestic four-story golden cube–the New Mexico Museum of Space History, where the focus is placed on “hands on experience.”
• Tombaugh Omnimax Theater invites you to an unforgettable visual experience via the 2,700 square foot screen and 70mm Omnimax camera.
• Is the home of the friendliest, happiest folks–why not, they have it all–70 degree average annual temperature; the ability to ski in the mountains on the winter mornings and play golf that afternoon; natural beauty all around; small town atmosphere, conveniences of a larger one.
Alamogordo Fun Facts provided by City of Alamogordo
Real Estate and Technology
It is in my opinion that technology and real estate go hand in hand; especially since they say that over 90% of home buyers start their search online. It is also my belief that today’s REALTORS® must learn to use technology to sustain their business.
There are many forms of technology available to real estate professionals. It is all about figuring out how much technology one is going to use and how to make it work for them. I would say I am knee deep in technology–I love technology and how it helps me work more efficiently.
I am a big fan of Apple products (they just work for me) and I love how the iCloud lets my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro always be in sync with each other. This has allowed me to have access to all my information no matter where I am. Technology has also allowed me to be greener by not having to print every single document; I can now scan and email with a simple click of a button; even better, my clients can sign documents I send them electronically without having to print, sign and fax back to me.
In today’s fast-paced world, everyone wants and expects instant gratification . . . Realtors who use technology are able to fulfill those needs.
Our town is way behind in being green . . . but I do believe we are starting to see a few changes, but if you ask my husband he will tell you this just is not happening fast enough!
We do not offer curbside recycling, but you can recycle newspapers, paper, cardboard, and aluminum by dropping them off at either South Florida and First Street or North Florida and 26th Street. Also the Convenience Center at 33 Gravel Pit Road in La Luz accepts #1 & #2 plastic, mixed paper, cardboard, aluminum cans, and tin cans.
We have a few builders who are now choosing to build ENERGY STAR® Certified Homes (www.EnergyStar.gov). These homes are inspected and tested by a third party (HERS Rater) to give them a rating and ensure that the home is ENERGY STAR compliant. Sims Green Energy Services (www.SimsGreenEnergy.com) is the only HERS Rater in our town, there are a few others in Las Cruces and El Paso.
I am also the only GREEN REALTOR® in the Otero County Association of Realtors®. This designation allows me to help you decide which green features are important to you when purchasing a home. If you are in the market for new construction an ENERGY STAR Home should be taken into consideration, as they can help you save money in the long run with your utility bills and your comfort level inside your home.
Alamogordo Market…sunny skies and the occasional burst of wind!
If you have listened to the national news these past few years then you have heard about all of the doom and gloom in the real estate market. While there is truth in the national news concerning the market, you need to remember that real estate is all about location, location, location! It is not just where the house is located, but also where the market is located! So, before you believe everything you hear in the media you need to consult with the local real estate professional and find out how the market is in your location, because not all markets are doom and gloom!
The Alamogordo real estate market has held stable over the past few years. Our home prices were not over inflated when the market was at one of its peaks a few years ago. Therefore, we have not seen an overabundance of homeowners owing more than their home value.
However, our market has been affected in some ways by other markets where everyone was upside down in their loans. The reason for this is because when buyers move here from those areas they are scared to buy again or they cannot afford to buy because they cannot sell a home in another location. What we are seeing here is that home values are not appreciating as quickly as they have in the past and this has caused the average days on market to be longer in the Alamogordo area; some sellers are selling at their bottom line so they can move on; others are choosing to rent out their homes.
As a real estate professional, I believe that home ownership is still a good investment and now is a good time to buy! Interest rates are at an all time low and there is a nice selection of homes to choose from. If you have been considering purchasing a home I recommend that now is the time for you to speak with a local lender to see what you qualify for and then we can get started in finding you a home that meets your needs.
Hi, my name is Michele Sims! My friends refer to me as wife, ASSOCIATE BROKER, mother, REALTOR®, nana, BLOGGER, friend, MARKETING GURU, and crafter. On several occasions I have been told that my OCD was showing . . . because of my super organized ways. I like to say that I am just extremely passionate about what I do and that is what makes me, me!
I have been an Associate Broker / REALTOR® since 2006. This is a career choice that I stumbled upon, but have found that I have a passion for. For me, it is not just about the sale, but more about helping my clients with one of the most important investments you’ll ever make. Whether you are buying or selling, it is my goal to make sure that you are aware of all your options, so that you can make an informed decision.
Associate Broker / REALTOR®
Affinity Real Estate, LLC
575.434.9700 ext. 110
2904 N White Sands Blvd, Suite B
Alamogordo, NM 88310
Like me on facebook www.facebook.com/MicheleSimsReal EstateProfessional
Follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/MicheleSims1